7 tips in deciding if the dialysis field is right for you

Sunday, September 20, 2015 New York, NY, USA

Please check out my disclaimer HERE



I will give you a brief story about me.....

It was back in 2008 that my friend mentioned becoming a dialysis assistant.
To be honest, I didn't know what dialysis was until my friend explained it. The job description detailed assisting dialysis technicians as well as the nurses with hard and simple duties. I was to strip chairs, clean machines, mix acid and bicarbonate and handle all of the details in the water room. I worked this position for a year and while I assisted others I began to have a deep desire to become a hemodialysis technician myself. I figured "hey I want to become a dialysis technician immediately"! If people here younger than me can do it then I can!

Well....I was promoted to go train and test for the position, not because I was an assistant. It was because I showed my supervisor, Ms. Showers, that I knew how to work hard and that I loved those patients. Some people didn't want me promoted, but she believed in me. I passed every test presented at me. As a technician, I have passed through so much in the workplace, in dealing with politics, unfair situations, and other entanglements.

On every job, you will experience a situation, maybe there is someone you dislike or a problem that is not being solved properly. One thing you should keep in mind is how to overcome any situation properly before it explodes to something negative and ruin your day. The dialysis field has it's pros and cons and the question is do you think this field is right for you?? You will deal with staff situations on one end and patient situations on the other end. Your choices and decisions will make or break your day. Never allow anyone to make you have a bad day, the power is in your hand!

Here are 7 tips to decide if the dialysis field is right for you

1. Do you have a desire to help individuals?
2. Do you have empathy and sympathy?
3. Are you a team player?
4. Can you work around blood, and cannulation (sticking a patient with a needle)?
5. Would you be willing to constantly learn, and update yourself yearly through "free" company classes?
6. If there is a situation that arises where you don't like another teammate or management are you able to handle that with wisdom? 
7. Can you handle swift multitasking (dialysis also deals with "turn-over" multitasking of individuals combined with paper charting)?


By saying no to any one of these situations lets you know the truth. There are many fields that are lucrative that I can get into, but I choose not to. Because whatever I do I want to love doing it. Same here!

My first video speaking on dialysis






My new book is out "Expert Tips On Becoming A Dialysis Technician" You can purchase it on Amazon.com or for Lulu.com CLICK HERE
My next book "The Wisdom Secret Diary of A Dialysis Technician" will be out late 2016



Stay updated with the latest information regarding the tips I give for new and experienced technicians below~
I founded a total of 5 dialysis groups on Facebook but I am currently in 3 of those groups. 1. DIALYSIS NURSES ROCK PERIOD https://www.facebook.com/groups/WEDNRP/ 2. POWER DIALYSIS TECH & STAFF GROUP (Now renamed and headed by Dwelyn) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1417405875004281/ 3. CCHT/BONENT GROUP https://www.facebook.com/groups/146721199373914/
FACEBOOK PAGE --- https://www.facebook.com/DTechsUSA/

Periscope ID: @dialysistechs
Twitter : CLICK HERE
YouTube : CLICK HERE
Pintrest : CLICK HERE

Thank-You for reading this blog written by me Cassia Ann Hill, have a blessed day~ 



Post a Comment

Translate this blog