Providing professional care to those who identify as LGBTIQA -Dialysis clinics

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Properly give care to those who identify as LGBTQIA who come in for dialysis professionally -Dialysis clinics


Providing exceptional healthcare services to these individuals doesn't mean that you are saying you agree or disagree with how they present themselves. Being professional means I will service whoever is sitting in this chair with respect, dignity, and follow the clinical policies and procedures efficiently. Each of us was raised differently and developed our own bias, concepts, and beliefs, but once you take on a dialysis position you need to adhere to the policy and have sensitivity in handling different individuals who come in for dialysis treatments.



Fiction stories***

Tay's Story 

1. My name birth name is Lacy but I prefer to be called Tay. I am 31 years old transgender male. Let me tell you my story. I was born in 1988 in St Josephs Medical Center in Texas. Once the nurses examined me, they discovered genitalia abnormalities and I was assigned a female identity by my parents. For years I felt confused and trapped concerning who and what I am supposed to be. I never naturally developed breast or a desire to date males. In the past few years, I felt that I was supposed to be a male and recently made the decision to finally transform into my identity. I had a feminine face but the surgery helped me look more masculine. I now sport a mustache and beard but my eyes and cheeks still look a little feminine. Two months ago I found out both my kidneys were failing and that I needed dialysis. Chronic kidney failure runs in my family on my dad's side. Matter of fact my dad is currently on dialysis and so is my uncle-his brother. After a month of being in the hospital, I was released and got connected to a dialysis unit not far from my house.

The clinical manager named Pie greeted me and had me weigh and assigned me a chair. Upon getting settled, I overheard someone at the nurse's station say "I don't want to put on a person like that, is it a he or she? It looks like a tranny". I was stunned as this shouldn't have been shouted across the floor. This is insane. I looked up towards the direction of that voice and several dialysis staff was giggling and pointing at me. This was one of the hardest times of my life and they don't know what I have been through. Tears rolled down my cheeks as someone from the other side comes over and puts on my blood pressure cuff. I scrambled to look for my sunglasses in my bookbag and put them on. As I wiped the tears from my eyes, I wondered why I even existed. I later told the clinical manager that I would like to transfer to another clinic and the reasons why. Whether staff gets reprimanded or not I didn't feel comfortable at that facility anymore. I just wish that I and others like me would be respected just like everyone else. I know I am different but it's not my fault.

Let's talk conclusion-
 - In this situation, whoever yelled that comment out was wrong. The staff should not be concerned with what sexual identity the patient in the chair. The only question that should be asked is what is the name of the human being that I am supposed to provide professional care to? You have no idea why a person presents themselves a certain way unless the person tells you. They don't owe you an explanation.
Tip#1- Evaluate your eager questions and if you have any concerns, you should talk to your clinical manager first. You need to discern which questions are really about healthcare and which ones you don't need to ask. Remember sensitivity and respect is a must.
Tip#2- If you are around staff that like to make fun of patients, you need to disassociate yourself immediately. Those staff workers are not professional and will turn on you sooner or later if you continue to be in their circle. The sooner you step away the more respect you will earn in not tolerating bullying and foolishness.



Tulip's Story 
2. My name is Tulip I identify as a cisgender male. Meaning I accept that I am a male. I just love to cross-dress. It's been my thing ever since I was 20 years old and I am currently 40. I've been through hell in my younger days and I take special comfort in this lifestyle. I usually don't care what people think of me but when I came to dialysis one day, a per-diem nurse name Mat made a comment that was unprofessional and ticked me off. As I passed Mat I heard him make a statement to another nurse. He said he didn't want to be anywhere around me and was asking if that other nurse can give me the prescribed meds for my TX once I am on the machine. Upon hearing this I lost control and told him off. I am not looking to date him or be with him. Why wouldn't he want to give me my meds? The cops were called on me and they tried to diffuse the situation but in the end, I was asked to go to the hospital for tx because I was now viewed as a threat. I hate my life.

Let's talk Conclusion-
-The nurse wrong to openly say those statements in this healthcare environment. In this profession, we are there to assist human beings regardless of their beliefs, gender, religion, skin tone, or appearance.
Tip#1- Re-evaluate if you are cut out to continue to provide health care services.
Tip#2- If you have any concerns again talk to your clinical manager on how to appropriately approach the situation.


Sun's Story

3. So our clinic got a new tech on board and I precepted her before she became permanent. Now we have a patient Sun, that identifies as a gay male and we never had an issue with him. Well, three months later this tech was asked to work in that section with Sun because the person called out sick. Sun was sitting in his assigned chair talking to another patient about a Barbeque he was doing later that night. This tech was doing her 30-minute vital checks and overheard these two laughing and talking a little loud and she blurted out "keep calm it's ok to be gay" Sun went off and was very offended. Sun told this tech to mind her business and his being gay is his business, not hers. He raised hell and asked for the manager but there was little done about what transpired. Now when Sun sees that tech he always warns her not to come near him and because he feels she might say something else crazy.

Let's Talk Conclusion- 
-When patients talk amongst themselves it is not the business of staff to get involved in any way.
Tip#1 -Avoid jokes that can be seen as offensive. You may think it is ok,  but the person listening may take offense.







nephrology

Twitter: https://twitter.com/dialysistechs
Periscope: https://www.pscp.tv/CASSIA_ANN_/1eaKblDbEMrJXYouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Mzconspikulous
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DTechsUSA/

I founded a total of 5 dialysis groups on Facebook but I am currently in 3 of those groups.




1. DIALYSIS NURSES ROCK PERIOD https://www.facebook.com/groups/WEDNRP/ 2. POWER DIALYSIS TECH & STAFF GROUP (Now renamed and headed by Dwelyn)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1417405875004281/ 3. CCHT/BONENT GROUP
https://www.facebook.com/groups/146721199373914/



Post a Comment

Translate this blog